Mrs. Berger's First Grade
Welcomes You to Room 105!
What a colorful year!
"In the coldest February, as in every other month in every other year, the best thing to hold on to is each other."
The shortest, busiest month has arrived! We're in the throes of some heavy academic subjects (working with two digit numbers, spelling more complicated patterns and introducing long vowels, studying rocks, maps, presidents...), while juggling exciting events at school. It seems that beginning the month with Catholic Schools Week sets the tone.
We're celebrating reading during this I Love to Read Month. Guest readers from our families and school will visit every day to share some great stories. With so many readers signed up, we may hit 100 books this month! We're also holding a reading Olympic challenge, finding a good day to cuddle up with a book, and listening to other teachers read during our read aloud carousel.
Our parent lunch is also this month, with a Valentine's theme. We hope that someone from your family can come and share a special lunch with your special first-grader. We'll wrap up our Art Adventure lessons, meet for spring conferences; all in all, a busy time of year!
Week At A GlanceMonday- Spanish, gym
Tuesday- music, Spanish
Wednesday- gym, library
Peek at the upcoming weeks:
See what we'll be learning about in the coming month:
Literacy- genre study: biography, review of "just right" book selection, synonyms & antonyms, review of adjectives
Author of the Month: Geisel Award winners
Math- place value: understanding tens and ones in teen numbers, using different strategies for adding and subtracting teen numbers (make a ten strategy, using doubles)
Religion- Jesus teaches us to pray
Art- Art Adventure (lead by parent volunteers); Valentine projects
Social Studies- reports from Flat Stanley's travels; president reports
Science- earth science: rocks, pebbles and sand
- Thurs. 2/8- MPLS library trip (chaperone Rebecca L.) @ 3:00
- Wed. 2/14- Ash Wednesday all-school prayer service @ 9:30
- Thurs. 2/15- 1st grade parent lunch @ 11:00
- Fri. 2/16- NO SCHOOL (conferences)
- Mon. 2/19- NO SCHOOL (Presidents Day)
- Thurs. 2/22- MPLS library trip (chaperones Jen F. & Chris N.) @ 3:00
- My First Grade Parent Handbook has lots of information about what material we'll cover this year, as well as routines and policies.
- RAZ Kids is our site for ebooks - it tracks reading progress and monitors students' reading.
- ThinkCentral is the online component for our reading (Journeys) and math (Math Expressions) curriculum- you can access textbooks, video tutorials, homework and practice pages, games and interactive tools. Here's a great video explaining how to use the site (enjoy the southern accent!).
- Order Scholastic books with the paper form that comes home in the BGE, or order online
(class code GY2M3). Every book you buy earns points for our classroom
to buy books. This helps me make sure that I have enough books at your
child's reading level, and some books are donated to STA's Simpson